Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sewing: 50s style dress



When I first found this pattern I knew it was perfect for me.  Full circle skirt, cute bias detailing, overall vintage 50s look.  As I am still a beginner sewer I limited myself to a more manageable cotton fabric.  Generally I tend to shop on ebay for fabrics, because the variety is vast and I am still a little intimidated by the fabric outlets in NYC's fashion district.   Plus I was able to get 5 yards of this fabric for a good price.

The bias tape was also from a nice ebay seller (wenze001) who I believe makes her own "tape".  This way I was really able to match the color well.  Although I did buy both a bright orange and a green and decided to make the choice in person.  

In the end I went with green, and I think it was a better fit for the vintage/traditional design.   I wish I had taken more photos of the process but it was a pretty simple pattern with basic steps.  Cutting pattern, cutting cloth, sewing darts, etc.  Here it is before I added the bias tape.  I must admit I don't use the dress form at all for sizing purposes, but this did come in good use to hang the garment so the fabric could settle before I worked on the hem.  Considering its been used as a glorified coat rack for most of the years I've owned it, it's actually moving up in functionality at least.   Next with bias added.

I headed over to M&J Trimming on 6th Ave which is just a WONDERLAND of notions.  Not cheap, but they seem to have everything jammed into the store from floor to ceiling filled with buttons, trimming, ribbon, applique, etc etc.  I picked up these darling green buttons ($2 each) and a package of large snaps ($7 package).
detail of the buttons
Here is the finished product!  I'm quite proud as this is the first dress I have made in years, and first dress that I actually really was careful about seams, hems, overlocking the edges, etc.


arm loop created by wrapping of fabric

No comments:

Post a Comment