Thursday, January 19, 2012

More mosaics



  This time little box for my friend's birthday.  My cousin recently gifted me some pretty tiles she found for sale at a farmer's market.  Unlike my prior mosaic adventures, for the first time I was using "scrap" glass.  While I did not have the pleasure of speaking to the supplier myself, these were clearly remnants and pieces of broken colored glassware.  Some appeared to have spent some time in the tumble to remove sharp edges too.  I had fun looking at the variations of color.  But it was difficult for me to do any non-abstract design as the pieces are not uniform in depth and were larger that prefabricated tiles.  In the end I decided to sort them and create a gradient color scheme.  I was actually surprised that I ended up using most of my stash.  Glass goes fast with closely arranged patters I suppose.
   The underlying box was purchased at Joanns, and the grout was left over from my prior project.  I decided to deepen the color of the wood with few coats of rub on stain that I picked up from home depot (used on my coffee table project).  And I am quite pleased with the end result.  I hope my friend is too.  Also it made for a perfect holder for the other presents I found for her: a few bottles of OPI polish from the Muppet Collection (from Nordstrom Rack) and the most darling tiny "pitchers" (single serving milk holders) in the shape of an elephant and bunny (from Beacon's Closet)

1 comment:

  1. lovely box, you did a great job to refashion it. Now it looks so much prettier!

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete