Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cord Kit Chandelier

While brightly lit during the day by natural light, my dresser area turned into a rather dark corner at night, ill fitted for prepping and putting on makeup.

Wanting to keep the maximum amount of free dresser top space, I was looking for a hanging option.  Be that I live in a rental apartment, this meant no hard-wiring, which unfortunately in my opinion meant foregoing some classier items.
urban outfitters chandelier
But it probably also meant I wouldn't even need to begin to covet pricey chandelier way out of my price range.
I ended up find this blue chandelier from Urban Outfitters on sale, and paid $31.99+ tax during there extra % of sale items in late December (and since I feel ultra guilty whenever I pay a shipping fee, I managed to fill my cart up with other decorations, some clothing and few presents to get free shipping).

The chandelier is back up to $58 at urban outfitters, but it's also worthwhile to check out other options for color/design that fit your space, or wait for this one to go on sale again.

I already owned a cord kit (light bulb with wire and switch--
hook attachment to ceiling
close up of tape covering the cord

bought long ago from the bargain bin also at UO for $3, I knew it would come in use! and it only took 4 years and moves), so I grabbed my power drill and made a thin hole (narrower than the hanging screw).  After deciding it was too far away from the wall, I made hole number 2, screwed in the hook and hung my chandelier.

the finished product in action!
Unfortunately I have a brickwall in this part of my apartment which made securing the cord to the wall a bit trickier.  Normally on dry wall I just buy the convenient nail in wire holders, but for brick I had to get creative. I debated drilling holes, a bit extreme and difficult, somehow using mounting adhesive, and finally settled on transparent duct tape.  I picked some up at my local hardware store (Scotch, $7.99 for 20 yards).  Not the classiest option, but I think it blends into the wall color well and maintains a stream lined look.

Now I have a pretty LIGHTED station to do my hair and make up.

No comments:

Post a Comment